Be a volunteer......Make a difference!
Volunteers are the backbone of all charitable organizations and the Eastern Madera County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is no different.
Actually, we rely even more on our volunteers because we receive no outside funding and prefer to use all donations to help animals rather than hire outside help. We rely heavily on the talents, creativity and energy of committed volunteers to bring our services to the community.
We welcome volunteers to offer their services with the following projects:
If you see a volunteer opportunity that interests you, please call Sharon at 642-6611 and she will direct you to the person who can give you more information about our needs.
- Information Booths at local events......these are usually informational booths. We are particularly looking for volunteers to help in the Coarsegold, YLP area. We need help at events a few times a year, and could also use help with a few things more frequently. If you live in the area and would be interested in helping call and we fill you in on what we need.
- Fundraising Drives......as we go forward with our shelter plans, fundraising is of the utmost importance. Fundraising will not only build the shelter, we will need to raise money to operate the shelter. There many ways we raise money. Everything from grant writing to asking for raffle prizes. If fundraising is your thing, we could put your time to good use.
- Dog Banks..... we have collection banks all over the mountain area. The money needs to be collected on a regular basis.
- Low-Cost Vaccine Clinics and/or Microchipping......volunteers are needed to fill out paperwork.
- Prize solicitation and collection......we always need prizes for raffles, door prizes, and silent auctions at events. We start early in the year and cover the mountain area. We like to get raffle donations to use at our events early so we can use them where they are the best fit. We also need help soliciting donations in the Fresno area. That can be done by phone with prizes picked up when available.
- Adoption Counceling Assistants.....we often need someone to perform home checks and talk to prospective adopters. Our Adoption Counselor would train you and go with you a few times to show you what needs to be done. We want to make sure our animals are going to homes that fit their needs. We particularly need someone in the Coarsegold/YLP/Raymond areas.
- Feral Cat feeders...our current volunteers could use help from time to time. They also need help with trapping. We would like to have volunteers who are willing to be trained to feed at the regular locations. The volunteers would only be needed in case our regular person is on vacation or has an emergency.
- Feral Cat trapping....We need help occasionally with trapping of ferals. In order for community members to use our free trap/neuter/return program, they need to be able to trap the feral cat they are trying to help. Occasionally they are unable to do this for various reasons. We would like to have someone to go to the location, set a trap, and return to take the trapped cat to the vet for surgery. They would pick the cat up at the vet the following day and return it to the location where it was trapped.
- Event volunteers.....we always need volunteers to help staff events. Helps with sign-ups, raffle ticket sales, food service, general help.
- Event set-up.....we need some able people (hopefully with a truck and a strong back) to help with set-up at different events. This can begin the day prior to an event, picking up chairs, tables, pop-ups, and meeting early the day of the event to set up. There would also be break-down following the event.
- Thrift Shop.....we have a new thrift shop in Oakhurst, the EMCSPCA Thrift Shop. We need volunteers to help staff the shop, sort and wash donations either at the shop or at the home of the shop manager. All proceeds from the shop benefit EMCSPCA programs
- Bake Sales....Love to bake? We will love to have you volunteer....these sales are fun! Check the event page for dates of Bake Sales.
- Foster homes.....at this time, all animals we work to rehome are either with their current owner or in a foster home. We always need homes for emergencies, and at different times of year for bottle feeding and temporary care. Foster homes need proper fencing and it is helpful if there are areas where fosters can be held separate from the resident dogs and cats. Foster homes do have some special requirements which will be discussed in detail if you are interested in fostering.
Anyone with an interest in helping with our projects or ideas for ways to help the animals is invited to attend the monthly meeting of the EMC SPCA. We meet the second Tuesday of every month (except December) from 5:30 to approximately 7:30 pm at The Cat's Meow, 40315 Junction Dr, Suite C, Oakhurst. For directions or more information about meetings call 559-642-6611.
We are always happy to meet people who are interested in our work. We would like to get to know you and are certain that you would enjoy assisting us in achieving our goals.
You can make a difference!
There is much to be done. Millions of unwanted kittens and puppies are being born every year. The longer you wait, the more there will be. By becoming an active volunteer, you can do something positive to help solve this serious problem.
You may have exactly the expertise we need. It is not necessary for you to help with every event or to attend every meeting. Just come get acquainted and we'll help you find your niche in the EMCSPCA!